Family Law, Criminal Defense & Other Questions


Family Law, Criminal Defense and Other Questions

Criminal Defense FAQs

If you’ve been arrested, it’s crucial that you do not make any statements to law enforcement authorities until after you’ve spoken to an experienced criminal defense attorney. Arresting officers were not kidding when they informed you that anything you said could and would be used against you in court. Don’t make the prosecution’s job any easier — invoke your right to remain silent and speak with our dedicated Alabama defense attorneys as soon as possible following your arrest.

The specific consequences of a conviction depend on your charges. In addition to serving time in prison, you may also be facing expensive fines, fees, and community service. Even after you have met the requirements of your sentencing, you may find that you have difficulty obtaining gainful employment and/or finding a place to live due to your criminal history.

Individuals who attempt to represent themselves often compromise their rights unnecessarily and may even incriminate themselves during criminal proceedings despite their innocence. Public defenders, on the other hand, are often so overworked that they will seek to persuade you to agree to a plea bargain rather than taking your case to court to prove your innocence. However, we are happy to take your case to trial to protect your liberty.

You have the right to remain silent under the 5th Amendment of the US Constitution so as to avoid self-incrimination. You also have the right to legal representation and to a phone call. You should have been informed of these rights when you were arrested. If you were not, the circumstances of your arrest may have been illegal and you should speak with a knowledgeable Alabama criminal defense lawyer immediately.

Family Law FAQs

dedicated family law attorney is essential when it comes to protecting your rights during a contested divorce. Spouses who are in radical disagreement concerning important issues such as division of property and/or child custody often find themselves extremely unsatisfied with their final divorce settlement. The best way to ensure that you don’t become a victim of an unfair settlement is to partner with a skilled family law attorney as soon as you believe that divorce is inevitable.

As long as you and your spouse are willing and able to communicate with one another respectfully and are in basic agreement about the goals of the divorce — including issues involving child supportchild custody, and division of property — you may seek an uncontested divorce. An uncontested divorce is a fairly quick and inexpensive way for spouses to obtain a mutually satisfying divorce settlement. It also enables a couple to shield their children from emotional trauma and uncertainty.

If you are seeking to establish or enforce a child support order, you should make an appointment to talk to our knowledgeable family law attorneys as soon as possible. Our family lawyers can help protect your rights and persuade another parent to honor their financial obligations to you and your children.

Alabama courts base decisions in child custody cases on what they consider to be the best interests of the child. By giving you a voice during child custody proceedings, a family law attorney can ensure that a judge grants a child custody order reflective of your love and commitment to your children.

Estate Matters FAQs

When it comes to dividing assets among your beneficiaries, the two main legal tools for guaranteeing that your wishes are honored are wills and trusts. Both have their respective advantages and disadvantages, but an experienced estate matters attorney can provide more insight as to which might be a better match for your family’s needs. Schedule an appointment with a skilled estate matters lawyer today to learn more about the differences between wills and trusts.

In general, wills can be established more rapidly and more affordably than trusts and are ideal for individuals whose wealth portfolios are relatively simple. While wills allow you to appoint guardians for your minor children and ensure that your property is distributed among your loved ones as you see fit, they are far less flexible and versatile than trusts. Wills must also pass through probate court under the oversight of an executor to become legally valid. If the probate process is not handled efficiently, the result can be time-consuming, expensive and stressful for everyone involved.
Trusts are extremely powerful tools for people dealing with estate matters, especially when their financial picture is fairly complicated. Although more expensive and time-consuming to establish, trusts can address a far greater range of needs related to estate matters, such as the possibility of a grantor’s disability or incapacitation. Trusts don’t have to be subjected to the probate process in order to become a legal reality. Furthermore, unlike wills, some trusts can become viable before the grantor’s death and be used to manage an estate during their lifetime as well as after their passing. Speak to a skilled estate matters lawyer today to find out whether a trust might be the ideal solution to the future of your estate.

Probate court is simply the process by which a will becomes recognized as legally valid by the State of Alabama. The personal representative or executor named in a will is tasked with the responsibility of overseeing the probate process, which involves not only honoring debts to creditors but also ensuring that property is divided among a decedent’s heirs according to their wishes. If you have been named a personal representative in the will of a deceased individual, a seasoned estate matters attorney can tell you what to expect during the probate process, as well as how you can best minimize the time and cost involved in going to probate court.

Municipal Law FAQs

The best way to ensure that you are handling a municipal matter in accordance with local, state and federal regulations is to make an appointment with a skilled municipal law attorney as soon as possible. We can help you address issues of eminent domain, land or water rights, annexations, or other issues quickly and affordably. We know how challenging these kinds of issues can be for public officials and will do everything possible to help you meet the needs of your constituents.

Whether you are a plaintiff, defendant, or witness in a civil litigation case, partnering with a superior municipal law attorney can make a world of difference when it comes to safeguarding your rights. We have years of experience protecting the rights of public officials during civil suits and are eager to put our expertise to work on your behalf. Schedule a consultation with a seasoned municipal law attorney to learn more about how we can help you achieve a favorable outcome.

Watson & Neeley, LLC represents clients in Fort Payne, Rainsville, Centre, Scottsboro, and DeKalb County with cases involving family law, criminal defense, estate matters, appeals, civil practice, and municipal law.

Call (256) 845-0410 for more information.